Sunday, May 13, 2007

From No-Fi to Hi-Fi

So how good can 12 litre $AU60 speakers sound. If you say "like rubbish", you would be close. When I first listened to these Dick Smith Electronics (DSE) small bookshelf speakers I new I was in for a challenge to get them to sound even half reasonable. I was also certain they were really only being let down by one component. The tweeter was an insult to the words "design and manufacture". The tweeter had to go first and foremost. The Xover wasn't much better.

Now for the good points. They look good though in simple black. Not like $10K speakers but appeared well made from a low density particle board. The woofer/mids are small but the bass is well extended (comparatively) and as long as they are not driven hard, appear well balanced though a little inefficient. They come with GOLD speaker binding posts and have a bass port.

Firstly I replaced the tweeter with a $AU19 mylar, ferro-cooled, shielded variety, with phase plug. Instant improvement. The Xover (what there was of it) was replaced with a high wattage 12db roll-off, air cored chokes with upgraded metal film polypropylene speaker caps. The terminal plate was upgraded but the original gold binding posts were recycled. Heavy copper speaker wire was used for internal hook-ups and lots off additional dacron was used to line and dampen the boxes.

Hi-Fi came to No-Fi speakers. In my system the tweeters were to dominating over balancing the small woofer. A -6db reduction in the tweeter volume with non-inductive 5W resistors (maintaining 8 ohms impedance) was implemented. Now you're listen! The bass port had a restrictive grate. This was cut-away and the opening smoothed out with a file.

I absolutely love these speakers. These are the only speakers I use in my current system. Yes, the bass is not ball shaking deep. They are small woofers, it ain't "gunna" happen. BUT the bass that is there is weighty, precise, clean, controlled, tonal, room filling and thoroughly enjoyable. I do have them out from the wall a good way and they sit atop heavy duty stands. BUT the sound stage from such a small box is razor sharp. Each instrument is clinically defined, sits in it's own space and time. The two boxes are 2.5m apart and if you walk toward the center of the speakers the sound stage leaps out and grabs you. It is not imaginary. I have tested this with a number of armature listeners and I always get a startled reaction.

So you CAN morph cheap speakers into good speakers. The thin timber walls do flap a bit. They ARE light weight. The bass could be more extended. Yes, I know all their short comings but $60k speakers have short comings too. What really appeals to me about these diminutive bookshelves is their accuracy, sheer speed, chiseled sound stage, clear crisp mids, beautiful highs and cute looks. For a total cost of $AU200 these babies speak with a razor tongue. If I purchased them from a store for $600 I would deem then good value. But the real value for me comes with the knowledge that I made them what they are. Should you feel the urge to own these precise little speakers, I can produce a pair for you for $400.

No comments: